Saturday, February 14, 2009

Moist Chocolate Cake


I'm not really good at baking. Most of the time, my baking end result is always a dissappointment. Anyway I would'nt give up as one quate states '"In order to succeed, you must first be willing to fail."
In the series of baking chocolate cake, I actually tried this one recipe I'm very familiar with and done it several time in Malaysia. It's very simple and when I baked it before, it always turned good. But don't know for what reason, when I madfe it here, it was a total disaster. When I baked it in the electrical oven, the batter just boiling and flowing out of the baking pan...CATASTROPHE!
I gave up a little while then decided to look for another chocolate cake recipe from Internet. I had promised my girls that I would bake a cake so I just couldn't give up, ok. I found one chocolate cake recipe from Mat Gebu so I gave it a try. And walla!...it came ok. Thanks Mat Gebu for sharing the recipe.
Anyway, the physical look was not that pretty cause I was so excited, I took the cake out from the pan before it had the chance to properly cool down. Resulted in breaking cake. It didn't really matter as long as I can pour the chocolate ganache on top of it and then the girls poured the chocolate rice for the decoration. An interesting activity for the girls to do.....
For those who one to try, this is the recipe:
INGREDIENTS :
-1 cup of cake flour/self-purpose flour*
-1 teaspoon baking powder*(*mix together and sift 3 times)
-1 cup of castor sugar
-2 eggs (gred A)
-125 g butter
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 cup of cocoa powder*
-1/2 teaspoon coffee powder (nescafe)*
-1/4 castor sugar*
-1/2 cup hot water*
-1/4 cup milk* (*mix together to make a chocolate paste)
FOR GANACHE :
-100 g cooking chocolate
-50 ml UHT Whipping Cream (or with 100 ml milk)
-1 teaspoon butter
METHOD:
1. Preheat the oven at 175C.
2. Butter the baking pan and place the bottom with parchment paper.
3. In electrical mixer, beat the butter and castor sugar until creamy and smooth
4. Add the vanilla extract and eggs one by one. Beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
5. Reduce the mixer speed, add the flour and chocolate paste (in small amount) one after another until finish. Mix well the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes.
6. Once the cake is properly bake, cool it down first before you decorate with chocolate ganache (optional)

FOR GANACHE:- Mix the chocolate and UHT Whipping Cream in a heat-resistance bowl. Melt the combination in double-boiler method (put the heat-resistance bowl inside a cooking pot with water over a medium heat). When it is completely melt, turn off the heat and add the butter. Mix well. Leave it to cool a while then pour it on the cake.
You can add chocolate rice or chopped almond nuts on top of the ganache . It is all up to your creativity. Happy baking!

No comments: