This is one simple meal that I like because you can use whatever meats or vegetables you like as long as you put black pepper. I never knew the exact recipe of Bihun Singapura, I always make it my own version after an ex-colleague introduced to me this bihun years ago. She told me verbally how to cook it. And this is how I cook it:
- Half a pack of bihun (rice noodle) - soak into hot water for 2-3 minutes then drain
- A small bowl of chicken breast cut into small pieces (or u can substitue with beef/squid/prawn)
- 2-3 garlic - mince
- 1-2 teaspoon grounded black pepper ( depends how you like it, the more the hotter)
- 1 table spoon oyster sauce
- 1 small carrots - cut into small long pieces
- Some sawi - cut into small pieces
- Fried shallots (can buy ready made from Asia Shop)
- Celery leaves - mince
- 2 table spoons cooking oil
- 1. Heat oil in a cooking pan, stir in the minced garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken, cook well
- Add black pepper and oyster sauce, stir.
- Add carrots and cook until soft.
- Put in bihun and sawi, mix well everything in the pan
- Add salt (depends on your taste buds)
- Serve with fried shallots and celery leaves garnished on top
I also always serve this bihun with a small bowl of kicap cili api soy sauce with Thai chilies) or the ready made chili in garlic oil bought from Asia Shop....makes the bihun tastes superb!