Sunday, May 23, 2010

Apfelkuchen mit Pudding


What I noticed about cakes in Germany, is they are less sweet and less fat. The cakes in general are hard and a lot of cakes have fruits as the main ingredients.

After the Kaesekuchen (German cheesecake) I made with a friend several months ago, I had yet to try any other German baking recipe. I do love trying anything new even though sometimes I am not sure how it should taste. And now as I'm living in Germany, I think I should take the opportunity of trying to cook some local foods. For me, the problem taking a German recipe is that I have to first translate the language. There are various of cheap cooking books around, in which I could even buy at the price of 1 Euro but I just hate the idea of translating.

This time around, I am so determined to try out the German recipe, I surfed on the internet and found this recipe. After living in Germany for 1.5 years, I noticed that I don't have problem understanding the ingredients but I do have problem when it comes to understand the methods. So no choice, I had to translate it and thanks to Google Translate...all I had to do is copy then paste then there the recipe in the language I'm able to understand!


This cake is quite easy to make. Similar to Kaesekuchen, it has the dough crust at the bottom and the sides of the cakes. The taste is not something I like and I think it is quite similar to apple pie except for having the pudding.

So here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

For the dough:

220g flour
80g sugar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
100g half-fat margarine
************************************

4 big apples
some cinnamon powder
2 packets of vanilla pudding powder
1/2 litre milk (1.5% fat)
80 g sugar
2 eggs
50g almond flakes

Methods:

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg and margarine and produce into dough. Spread the dough into a 9" spring foam and pull up the edge about 3 cm on the sides. Put aside.

2. Preheat oven to 175C. Peel the apples and remove the seeds. Cut into 1.5 inch pieces. Arrange on top of the spread dough (cover the whole bottom). Sprinkle cinnamon powder on top of the apples.

3. In another bowl, mix the vanilla pudding powder with some milk and sugar. Boil the remaining milk in a saucepan. Add the mixture of vanilla pudding and let it boil again. Remove from the stove and let it cool slightly. Stir in the eggs.

4. Pour the pudding mixture on top of the apples and spread evenly. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 45-50 minutes (using the middle tray).

No comments: