Sunday, May 30, 2010

Southwest Avocado & Red Bean Salad

Recently I learned how to enjoy eating avocado. I was not very familiar with its taste before and I never thought of trying since avocado was way too expensive in Malaysia. Here in Germany, usually the price varies between 70 cent to 1 Euro most of the time and I think I should give it a try since avocado is a type of fruit full of goodness. Avocado when it ripes, tastes quite good and feel much delicious when you use it in salad.

I took this Southwest Avocado recipe from Food Network. The original recipe actually calls for black bean but I only managed to find red beans, so I made that as a substitute.

The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 or 3 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
  • 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce - I used feld salad
  • 2 avocados, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained - I used red beans
  • 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
  • About 3/4 cup (3-ounces) grated pepper jack cheese - I used emmentaler
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, oil, lime juice and hot sauce.

In a large serving bowl, add the lettuce, avocado, corn, beans, tomatoes, and cheese. Add the dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.


No comments: