Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Brussels Sprout & Mushroom


Brussels sprout is one of the winter vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and so forth. In Germany it is called Rosenkohl. I've never seen this vege back in Malaysia before. I guess it's not popular there or probably too expensive to be sold because it has to be imported. Unlike broccoli or cauliflowers that can be grown in Malaysia's highland, Cameron Highland.

I don't really fancy this vege too. Because it taste a bit bitter. But I still buy it anyway because during winter season like this, it's not easy to get other type of vege in the supermarket nearby my house. Or even there are some summer veges avaible, which probably imported, the price is darn expensive. So I just make do with whatever affordable, nope...cheap-comes-first- vege.

At first, I did'nt know how to cook this brussels sprout. So I browsed through the internet and one of the blog showed a cuisine of brussels sprout cooked with mushroom and cocktail shrimp. I'm sorry I couldn't remember the blog's name because I just read through the recipe once. It's so simple that I don't even need to write it down.

The taste is something I like. The combination of button mushroom, cocktail shrimps and oyster sauce makes the brussels sprout tastes good to me. This definitely will be something I would cook again and I just bought another bundle of brussels sprout yesterday :)

Let's see how I cook it:

Ingredients:

- Half a bundle of brussels sprout (depends how much you want to cook)
- Half a pack of white mushroom, cleaned and cut into quarter
- a small bowl of cocktail shrimps (or any kind of shrimps
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1 shallot - chopped
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- 2 tbs of cooking oil

Method:

- Cut a bit the bottom of the brussels sprout, halve then wash.
- Put water in a sauce pan. Bring to boil.
- Toss in the brussels sprout and mushroom into the boiling water. Leave them a while.
- Remove the vegetables from the water and drain them. Put the vegetables in a serving plate.
- In a separate pan, heat up the oil and stir-fry the garlic and shallot until yellow.
- Add the shrimps
- Add the oyster sauce and a bit of water to make some gravy.
- Pour the gravy on top of the vegetables.
- Ready to serve.

No comments: