Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cream of Mushroom Soup

My girls love to eat mushroom soup so much. Back in Malaysia, it's either we will eat it at Pizza Hut (yeah, i know...it was expensive but besides no time, I also didn't have much time to cook it myself), or I will buy the Campbells - from the can!

But here I would to do it myself. The ingredients are cheap and I have ample time to cook (if I don't waste my time in front of the laptop..ngeeeeeee).

For the baguette shown in the picture...well that one, I just bought the frozen package (which has spread of krauter (herbs) and butter in each pieces) from the store and baked it (ok, I cheat a bit here!).

For the soup, I got the recipe from Simply Recipe.

Ingredients:

-1 pack of white mushroom, cleaned and sliced.
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs shallots (i used onion)
- 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbs water

Method:
1. In a food processor, coarsely chopped mushrooms and lemon juice.
2. Melt butter in a sauce pan, and lightly saute shallots on medium heat. Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, saute over moderate heat for 10-15 minutes or until liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappear.
3. Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
4. Add cornstarch and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Correct seasoning and add more lemon juice to taste.

No comments: